9.15.2009

Game Day

Today is Temple day. Its temple day, and my bags are packed, I actually have make-up on, and my hair isn't in the pony-tail it seems to always migrate to. Its temple day and I'm trying to stay calm, I'm trying to breathe and just focus on feeling the spirit, but that's easier said than done because our incredible brains seem to wander insistently.

For the past couple of months since the initial proposal I have tried my very best to put my life in order. Sure, I should have been doing that all along, but when a big moment like this comes you just have to see if you're in check. You have to make sure you're plugging along with the right heart and mind frame, more like a granted fresh start that I decided to take advantage of. I have tried to be more positive, more forgiving, more patient. The patience thing is still going to be a tricky one, but I have felt confident. I have felt I was doing my best, and honestly, who ever asks for more than that. I've had a special prayer in my heart this entire time, hoping that things would start falling into place.

I wish it was that easy. Honestly, I wish everything in life was that easy. You pray, it happens. I dont know how else to explain my feelings right now. Its honestly hard to put on paper, and even more hard to explain because its complicated. Lots of things in life are complicated, but my feelings right now are extra complicated. I dont ever try to make people understand, we all know those people who rally those around them, begging to have people on their side. Thats just not like me in most cases. Today, however, I want at least some of you to understand. Maybe not completely, because I know no one can, but at least on somewhat of the same page as me. The best way I know how to explain all this is by taking it to the court.

In basketball there are lots of practices. You have to do those annoying drills, running, sweating like crazy throughout the entire session. You bond. You bond with your teammates, your coach, and then you get to the games ready to show your opponents who is boss. You figure, with all that hard work you have put in, it should pay off once youre on the court.

Through all your years on various teams you finally make it to the traveling ones. You know, the ones where the competition is greater and the stakes seem to be higher. You work even harder, actually earning your playing time in the games. You show up to every practice making sure you know the plays and you know you have a handle on how things are supposed to work.

Its game day. Its game day and your coach wants nothing more than to win so he brings in one of those obnoxious players to help bring the trophy home. He thinks its a perfect setup, and it seems like it, if you are into that sort of thing. It seems like a really great move, taking the attention away from the people who work hard. This player steps in thinking hes saving the day, regardless of the fact that he hasnt paid the fees to be there, he hasnt been to any practice in order to know the team he is playing with. He just steps in without asking. Its not like you can say anything to him either, because in his mind, hes earned his right to be there too.

The real kicker though is that mother on the stands. I'm sure you know the one. Just look for the only person wearing the rose-colored glasses. They think their boy is magnificent. They talk about nothing but the numerous games their son has played that day, making sure to mention how many he has won. They brag about their skills, their hard work ethic, their ability to be that team-player every one is so jealous of. Maybe if they took off the rose-colored goggles they seem to be wearing, they would see what their son is doing to the other players. They would see they are only teaching that blessed son the mind-frame that you can just step in without the work. You dont have to show up for practice, the games are much more fun. You dont have to know your teammates, or put the effort in to make that unity happen, you can just show up because thats much easier. That mother on the stands thinks only about her son. Sports are supposed to bring out the selfish in everyone, but she seems to be oozing of selfishness. That mother on the stands doesnt see that if only her son would put the work in before the big day no one would be staring at her, and those poor boys on the bench would actually have some self-esteme to speak of.

To that mother. Its not that I don't like your son. Honestly, hes a great player. He shoots when he is supposed to, his feet move faster than anybody, he thinks steps ahead of the average person. Hes fantastic, you're right. But look at the poor kids on the bench. Look how hard they have worked. Look at the glory you are taking away from them, and the effect of your words. They hate your son. They hate the fact that he can just step in without putting forth the effort, and for that, we cant have him here. You can say mean words, you can shout and yell and try and prove your point as we escourt you out. You can even try and make us like him with nice words about everything wonderful he has done. We will listen, but we dont care. And we wont care until he comes to practice on the days that dont matter. We wont care what skills or what his heart is like until he comes on a random tuesday, not just game day. This team is not just about game day, however important that may be at this moment, this team is about sticking together on every other day, making sure those matter even more than whats on that game court. Win or lose on game day, say whatever you want about game day and how you would like game day to go, but its what happens in those weekly practices that really tell what this team is about. 

2 comments:

Brandon and Sarah said...

Have a GREAT day - I hope that you find as much peace in the temple as Brandon and I do. Wish we could be there to see you as a bride - we'll be thinking of you and Rob both!

shawna henrie said...

i like this post.