6.07.2012

Make It Enough Tomorrow

At first glance, I didn't get much done today.

In fact, I really only folded one load of laundry.

Well...

I also put a load in the dryer.

I cleaned up probably 30 times just based off the fact that my 16 month old thinks helping means taking everything out of the cupboards.

I made pizza for dinner.

I visited and chatted briefly with my Mom.

I breastfed my baby... gosh... who knows how many times.

I kissed chubby fingers and chubby toes... even chubby little faces.

I made a toddler laugh pretty hard with my funny noises.

I changed a diaper or two... or ten.

I showered myself, as well as one child.

I dressed and undressed both babies a couple times due to spit ups, bathroom accidents, and plum disasters.

I read books to a sweet boy.

I cuddled both babies at once.

I rocked babies to sleep.

I took the kids on a walk around the neighborhood.

I wiped tears away.

I sang a few songs to get my son to dance.

I sat outside cuddling one, while the other explored.

I made a lunch that primarily ended up on the floor.

I took pictures.

I played cars.

I played pass.

But yet, when I first survey my day I don't feel I did much.

Sure, I didn't make the phone calls I wanted to..

I wasn't able to attend the play date I wanted to..

I didn't finish all the laundry in one day like I wanted to..

But I loved my babies.

I took care of my babies.

My to-do list will most likely not get completely done tomorrow either..

But I will make sure my babies are taken care of.

Whether that means I shower or not..

So why, as women, are we so hard on ourselves?

Why is caring for our babies never enough?

Tears, kisses, food on the floor, diapers, cleaning, and feedings...

And somehow it isn't ever enough.

So let's try to make it enough tomorrow.

2 comments:

whitney said...

love this.

Christa Jeanne said...

Love, love, love this, Elyse!!! I can't think of a more important way to spend the day, honestly, even if it doesn't seem "productive." The laundry can wait. Your babies can't. Props for seeing what truly matters. :)