We started our Tai Chi class this past Monday, not really knowing what to expect, just that we needed PE credits. The class is almost 2 hours in length, giving you plenty of time to dive into the motions. Same length as our Yoga class, allowing for a decent amount of meditation. Meditation seems to be at the core of both of these experiences, and its something that takes awhile to master, mainly due to the noise we feel on a daily basis. Its nice. Its nice to be able to clear your thoughts and focus on your breathing, while doing some pretty ridiculous moves. With a room full of silence and slow breathing and difficult postures, it was hard not to laugh as I looked over at my Prince Charming and his serious meditative state. That face is priceless, making the hours well worth it.
Tai Chi. Tai Chi is something most people don't understand. I didn't even fully understand it before entering the classroom. I just thought it was that strange movement older people do in parks, while looking like they are moving in slow motion. Not saying that I am all the sudden converted to Tai Chi and think its the best thing in the world, because honestly I still find it strange... but the theories behind it are what makes it interesting. Tai Chi and Yoga and all those other meditative exercise out there, they are all about meditation and searching deep within you to find peace. Our teacher, in his explanation of the course, defined Tai Chi as being the "Softening of the heart." It is the process of slowing down your movements and rather than just being, you are constantly aware of your body and your emotions. This is how we should all be approaching life, with a wonder and a curiosity to how our emotions work and how to find peace in every action we take. I think this Tai Chi thing will be good for us, helping us to learn how to slow down. Or rather, to help me slow down. Take deep breaths. Enjoy each moment. Find peace.


0 comments:
Post a Comment