When we started dating, I tried my best to get to know exactly where Rob came from. His family was so welcoming, so inviting, and constantly made me feel right at home.
If you know anything about Rob's Dad, you would know that he is fascinated by his family history.. something we all should be fascinated with. He knows their history, he knows where they come from, and he tells the stories to where you feel you know them too.
One thing I learned pretty quickly was that Rob's Grandma had red hair too. Not only did she have red hair, but she was sassy too.. My kind of woman. And not only did she have red hair, was also sassy.. but she baked and was an excellent seamstress... Again, my kind of woman.
Then there was Rob's Grandfather, who Rob looks just like. He had the dark hair, he had the endless amounts of hair.. Rob is built just like him.
Sort of funny.. Here we are.. resembling Rob's grandparents pretty closely. It sort of makes me feel close to them, or at least makes me want to know more so that I feel closer to them.
I guess you could say that I am trying to find my inner Brantingham, and it will have to start first with baking.
A week or two ago Rob started talking about how amazing his Grandmothers Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies were. Just the way he was describing them made my mouth water. He said that she would have some waiting for them every single time they visited her.
With me feeling close to this wonderful woman, I decided it would be my mission to try and re-create these mouthwatering beauties so that she would be proud.
It took a couple batches to really make them taste the same.. Regardless of what the recipe is written like, you know for a fact that with many years of practice she probably had it refined perfectly.
My oven isn't the best, and they cooked a little more than I would have liked.. but this batch finally got the OK from Rob!

The other batches were just Ok.. a little too much flour to be honest.. But with this batch.. This batch actually reminded him of his Grandmother.

The other batches were just Ok.. a little too much flour to be honest.. But with this batch.. This batch actually reminded him of his Grandmother.
So, even though I didn't know this woman, I hear nothing but great things about her.. making me wish I had known her. And this baking thing... It just makes me feel like I am walking in good shoes.
I just like getting to know this intriguing woman better.
I just like knowing that I am finding more and more out about this new history I have
inherited.
inherited.





1 comments:
I guess you and I are both like Grandma Carolyn. Curtis tells me that I remind him of her, minus the red hair of course.
Post a Comment