
I have recently been reading the personal journal of my Great-Great Grandfather.
He is the one in the lower left-hand corner with the funny hat and the Captain's arm around his shoulder.
He converted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Ladder-Day Saints, was persecuted for that choice, and wrote about everything..
Even down to his problem with gun powder, or the fact that he could throw a fantastic punch without even trying...
From the sound of it, I think the bloody noses of his victims surprised everyone, especially him.
This picture is him, along with many other passengers, on the ship Wisconsin, heading to New York from Liverpool, England.
I say all this because I feel like I know him personally.
Who knows why he kept a journal, who knows why he was faithful at writing, or why he wrote about everything...
Who even knows if he knew I would be reading it, finding his stories interesting...
But the fact is that he wrote it all down.
The fact is that, regardless of why he did it, I am able to read and feel personally connected to him.
He is part of me, I am learning from him, and I would not feel any of it if he hadn't wrote it all down.
So this greatly inspired me to have my posterity know me.
Especially my little ones..
I want Ross to know me while I am here on this earth, but I want his children and their children to truly figure me out while I am gone.
I want them to know me, just like I feel I now know my Great-Great Grandfather.
I even looked into printing my blog out, year by year, just to make sure there is something vital that could keep throughout the generations.
I am sure it doesn't come as a surprise that there are about a post for every day... so it will be a big feat..
But one that I think is incredibly worth it.
So not only will I continue to write, I will try to write about things that I think will matter...
Since this is on the internet I cannot go too deep into the personals of my life, but I can surely give more vital information about what life is like for me..
In hopes that, years and years from now, someone could benefit.
Although, surely someone will benefit from knowing my son was called a girl in the grocery store the other day..
Or how Ross loves his dad more than Baby Einstein..
Or how I decided to try something new and start running..
Or the fact that Ross is screaming crying in his crib right now when he is supposed to be napping longer than two seconds.
Surely these things will be fascinating to someone...
Just like my Great-Great Grandfather and his gun powder incident.
Or just like the fact that he loved his Grandparents house..
Surely, at the end of the day, it is just about knowing the person..
And in return, you feel closer to yourself than you did before reading.
Not only do they become real, but your life becomes more accessible.
I am so grateful that he wrote it all down.
So now...
I will just have to keep on writing.


2 comments:
I think that is the coolest thing about your grandfather's journal! How fun to get to know someone from so long ago! And great goal to start writing one of your own.
please keep writing!!!
Post a Comment